Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Too much or too little

My workload in my work place is a pendulum swinging between extreme ends. One moment I'd be free enough to swat flies (if there are any), and the other I'm rushing around trying to finish the un-finishable. For now, the latter is the case.

It was not until a few weeks ago that my supervisor agreed to partially outsource me to take part in the lab SOP revision project under another manager. So now I'm basically working for two people at once (who hardly communicate to each other regarding about what I do). Fortunately, the other manager who is not my supervisor is not the type that will bug me for work or give tight deadlines. Still, it is a mountain-load of tedious work on top of what I usually have to do (which, to be fair, is actually not a lot). So now I consider myself a bit overloaded. Have to paste reminders all over the wall, and recap on what I have done and what I should do before I start and end the day on a daily basis. It's good practice though.

All in all, I'm quite happy to be involved in lab functions to some degree (not bench-work, but documentation). Along with what I'm already doing for my supervisor, it gives me a good, integrated idea of what everyone is doing and how certain processes flow. It enabled me to know more people also, though I didn't gain many close friends. And the girl whose job I'm taking over has been such a blessing to me by showing how patient, meticulous and responsible she is, not shirking her duties, and still doing her best prior to her departure from the company. She's a wonderful example. I want to be someone like that too!

I am also learning from a book my supervisor is lending to me, which I read whenever I'm free. Such times are going to be rare, I foresee. But the ideas and techniques used for problem solving are really good ones. :) And quite applicable to group projects in school (though it might be time-consuming if you really want a good job done).

And I'm so so so so glad that I learned how to type and send proper emails! It really makes me able to work twice as fast. To say I know how to type is an understatement. In reality it's more than that. I actually love to type (as an activity). I wish there was a (high-paying or decent-paying) job related to typing (like the one in some court-case overseas where the typist earned a major fortune recording a confidential divorce case). I would love to take such jobs. Now I type at a higher-than-average speed (if compared against people who know how to type), but I still make a lot of typos. Thank God for spell-check!

Sometimes I feel that if I entered MSD when I was in form 6 (around 5 years back), I would still be capable of doing the same things I'm doing now. They are tedious, but not exactly tough, and things can be easily picked up even with no prior knowledge. But there are things which I wouldn't have been able to learn if I was just thrown into the organization just back then. These include:

a) The appreciation of the structure, function and culture of the company. All my biz modules helped in my interest towards all this :)

b) The importance of being responsible in the smallest things. Checking through my work, going beyond what is just given, and not just doing things so that they 'get done'. To keep records, to be meticulous. I am grateful that my previous two employers were frank with me in this sense, and despite my so-called failings in my previous employment experience led to the success of this one.

c) The ability to learn. I have become a much more active learner since coming to NUS. (At least in the things I like).

d) The ability to socialize. To understand things people say, how they feel, why they say it. To observe different personalities and make sense of them.

e) To appreciate people. More and more so.

f) To view Christ as my Master, and more than that, my sole Master whom I'm working for.

I love my internship experience. Two months are already up! I'm looking forward to reaping more and giving more in the last four months to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment