Monday, August 6, 2012

[The Negros Chapter]: Only One Way

This is the first part of a series of posts about my evangelistic-campaign trip to Negros, Philippines. The campaign is actually 6 weeks long, but I only went there for one week. Was really a blessing to be able to serve together with the Campus Ministry this year, as well as many others from different churches around the world. We would travel to different high schools (secondary schools in Malaysian terms) in Philippines and share the gospel with them; either class-to-class or through a mass evangelism in a school assembly. I joined the campaign in Week 3, and we went to Negros (both Occidental and Oriental).

Practically every Filipino in Negros (and all over the country) knows who Jesus is, and are Christians of some denomination. So why bother to go evangelizing in the Philippines, you may ask. But when I threw the students a very direct question: "Are you ready to meet God when you die?" Some of them couldn't answer me. They were not sure. And some of them answered "Yes!" But in the end, not all of them were sure too.

I remember Simon told us in our first school a conversation he had with a teacher he met outside a classroom. She believed that salvation was based on works, and Simon shared that it was not through Titus 3: 5: Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit."

He then asked the teacher after sharing the gospel: "If you died yesterday, where will you be going?"

The teacher said, "Heaven."

Simon: But yesterday, what were you depending on to save you?

Teacher: Works.

Simon: Then if you died yesterday, will you be on your way to heaven?

Teacher: No.

The teacher then understood that it is not works that save, but Jesus alone.

There are many students in many schools who could recite John 14: 6 to me off their heads. John 14: 6 records Jesus saying "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one goes to the Father except through Me." But not all of them knew that this meant Jesus is not just 'a way', He is 'the way'. There are not many roads to heaven as there are to Rome. There is just one.

When I read the response slips, many believe they are saved by going to church. Some believe they are saved through baptism (they even remember and write the date down). By doing good things. By praying. By virtue of birth in a Christian home.

But all these are works. And though righteous works may be fruits of salvation, they are certainly not the means to salvation. The prophet Isaiah laments in Isaiah 64: 6a:"But we are all like an unclean thing, and all our righteousness's are like filthy rags..."

What we do cannot save us. It is not what we have done, or need to do. If there is any other way to save us, then Jesus needn't have died. But there is none. Therefore Christ must die - to make the payment for sin, the sacrifice for sin needed to appease a righteous and holy God.

I illustrated this in class by using an example of taking a bus to school (others prefer using ferrys etc.). I asked the class if I just looked at a bus without getting up it, though knowing it will take me to school, will I get there? They said "No." Therefore, it is not enough to know who Jesus Christ is - or to even know He is the Savior of the world. He may be the Savior of the world, but the question for you is - is He your Savior?

My second example was about me trying to board a bus to school, with one leg up the bus and the other leg trying to walk my way there at the same time. (It was not easy for me to do this ok, I'm usually very prim and proper with crowds.) They laughed at my weird jumping, and I asked them will I reach school this way? They answered again, "No."

Then I asked the class: "Do you know many of you are doing this? Is it tiring? Yes! But will it take you to school? No." Many waste a lifetime in trying to do good works to justify themselves, while trying to depend on Jesus too. But split faith, is not faith. I can't believe the earth is round and at the same time believe that it is flat. True dependent faith, is putting all your eggs in a basket, and this is the saving faith that will lead you to salvation.

Romans 10: 9 says: " If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." It is believing that saves. And to go to school through taking the bus, I need to get on the bus, and sit down, having faith that the driver will send me there. It is not what I do myself - I don't drive the bus. But it is the dependence on the driver that makes me put the whole of my self into the vehicle and sit down.

Not by works - not even by church going, prayer, or baptism. The Bible said it is through a heart of belief only. And as I have asked the students - do you know Jesus with your heart, or just in your head? What were you depending on to save you yesterday? Jesus is the only way to reach God. Only Jesus saves.

No comments:

Post a Comment