Monday, December 17, 2012

Melting pot

I think communication says a lot about the community we are in.

It is said that Singapore is a melting pot of cultures. I think that especially true in my work environment whereby we need to communicate a lot with the production team and our own teams as we hand over or take over our work.

If a Chinese uses English with a Malay (when the former feels more comfortable speaking in Chinese and the latter feels more comfortable speaking in Malay instead of English), it is a state of compromise whereby both seek a common understanding using a common language.

When a Chinese uses Malay with a Malay (Singaporeans do pick up many Malay terms here and there, especially army boys), or when a Malay uses bits of Chinese to communicate with a Chinese - it shows the mentality that 'I am trying to be involved in your culture to get closer to you'.

But I think the best part is when a Chinese uses Chinese words with a Malay, or when a Malay uses Malay words with a Chinese. This to me means that 'I understand that you are constantly trying to reach out to me through my culture, and hence I reciprocate'.

In this way I think the melting pot culture is a great thing - it brings Singaporeans together as Singaporeans! :) And it melts away the boundaries of language and culture to build genuine friendship that does not segregate.

On a side note I was really happy yesterday cz everyone I talked to over the phone when checking production status were so nice, and that rarely happens. :) It is these small things that make my day, including that small friendly exchange of 'thank you', and 'good night', when my mainland China bus driver sends me home after midnight.

There are many things that make your day, but when it's people who make your day, it really warms your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment