Monday, December 12, 2011

Mistborn Trilogy Completed

I've finally completed the last book of the Mistborn Trilogy, The Hero of Ages. And that is no mean feat considering the fact that the only free version I've managed to find (without zip or rar), is here. Just click on the link and you'll see what I mean. Someone told me the font size is akin to reading an encyclopedia. I wouldn't have ploughed on with it if not for the fact that I've read the first two books.

As usual, Sanderson ends his stories grippingly. This book is filled with action scenes and revelations. After completing the trilogy, I see this guy more as an engineer than an author. The intelligent way he creates magic worlds (that fits into logic somehow), and open up them layer by layer by layer across his three books - that is no mean feat. And groundwork must be laid properly starting from the first book. There is hardly any conflict in his worlds, yet once you thought you knew something - well you just didn't know it well enough. Very well crafted. And that's what makes the whole trilogy appealing. As I have mentioned (or rather gushed about) before, the idea of Allomancy in itself is novel enough. But that is a just a small part of a big story.

Highly recommend for fiction/fantasy lovers, especially engineer book worms. Beats Harry Potter hands-down with regards to the creation of a magical world (in my opinion). :p I find it better than Hunger Games too, but of course they are kind of from a different fantasy genre. The main flaw I find in Mistborn is the romance between the two main protagonists borders corny-ness. Not really my type. But the rest of the book makes it bearable. :p

Now I'm deciding if I'm going to re-read this all over again, or go for another of Sanderson's work. I've read three of his now, and none disappointed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment