Thursday, April 26, 2012

Hunger Games Watched

I've finally went to watch Hunger Games last week. Had not planned to watch it initially because I felt that there's no way violence can be subtle and yet be true to the book. However one of my colleagues asked me out, and because I was curious on how the movie actually turned out (the were actually many good reviews) and since another of my colleagues had complained that it was 'not violent enough' as expected, I went to watch the movie at the Cathay anyway.

Anyway I'm glad I went. The violent scenes weren't too blatant (although the cruelty it meant to portray still went through). Casting was good. Jennifer Lawrence was a top notch choice to portray Katniss Everdeen. I was a bit doubtful with the casting for Peeta Mallark at first but in the end I think Josh Hutcherson managed to portray the Peeta whom I liked in the book. It was Lawrence (Katniss) that anchored the show of course (as it was in the book), but Hutcherson as Peeta was really not bad. 

Jennifer Lawrence really made Katniss awesome. In fact I think I preferred Katniss in the movie to Katniss in the book. Partially because the movie was simplified into something less emotionally complicated, and the plot was easier to understand. And because Katniss' motives weren't so diverged. They didn't show the bittersweet ending though, which makes it a bit hard to link to the sequel (I feel). 

*Movie spoiler alert*
One of the things that really touched me (kind of) was the attention they paid to the detail of the costumes. Without the costume and the designs of art, the world-building of the Capitol on screen wouldn't be so realistic. It really amazed me that the movie could come so close to my initial imagination of Capitol. The outlandish colour schemes, the dressings, and most of all, Katniss and Peeta's opening costume (the one with fake fire). I must say I was very moved by the production team's effort when they came out in that chariot with their capes lit up. It was totally the best moment of the whole movie for me - to see something from your imagination just come alive on the wide screen. It's the first time I've ever had this feeling watching a movie adapted from a book. Never thought it possible.

Of course there were a few weak points, but they were IMO pardonable. The Katniss 'Girl on Fire' theme didn't feel as forceful as it should be. Rue's time and character building was altogether too short, and there wasn't enough time for me to really like her properly. I had liked Thresh in the book, but I guess it's really asking for too much to have me like him in the movie here due to time limitations. I wish there was more emotional scenes of Peeta too. 

I kind of like the theme song for this movie too (too bad it wasn't played in the film). I never thought Taylor Swift could write a song of this genre. It is titled 'Safe and Sound', and it just sounds like something Katniss might sing to Prim. 


I think I can play this song now :)

Btw do watch the movie if you haven't yet. I think first-timers who have no experience with the book will like it too. In fact the book feels a little too melancholic for me now I have re-read it. I wonder if there will be movie sequels. I didn't really enjoy the sequels in the books, although I liked the first book. Still it would be interesting to see how they are interpreted on-screen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment