Monday, April 9, 2012

Nice or Not?

In a normal knee joint, there is this reasonably sized gap between two bones, tibia and femur, due to a thick layer of cartilage and lubricating fluid.

Well, sometimes I think my state of mind is tibia, and reality is femur (it can be the other way round if you please), and there's a thick layer of cartilage and lubricating fluid in between. 

Someone just told me that I always think everyone is nice. That's not entirely true. The truth is I generally either label a person as 'nice' or as 'neutral'. Unless the person has displayed visible meanness or evilness or despicable-ness, unless I have hard and concrete evidence that that person always has evil intentions, people are generally nice, very nice, or neutral to me.

This is not because I'm not able to pick up flaws in people. In fact, said to say, that is something I do very quickly. Every time when I interact with people, I sense strengths and weaknesses, and most of the time, focus more on analyzing their weaknesses. This is my character flaw. But when I say if someone is nice, I go by intentions. And intentions are very hard things to judge. It complicates things further when one day, this person has good intentions towards you; and the next, not so good ones because their interests are concerned.

So to give people the benefit of the doubt - I usually focus more on the good intentions. It's easier when you feel upset by what people did or said to you, to think back about the good they once did, and forget the bad part by doing that.

No one is perfect. And though you may say that my way of looking at things is through rose-tinted glasses, it does cheer me up and make me think better of others whey they unintentionally do things that are not so sensitive towards my feelings. It's just like that layer of cartilage and lubricating fluid, without which you get arthritis in the knee. And who am I to judge what people really are? Only God sees the heart, and although I see and perceive the actions, I may see differently from what the situation actually is. The only way I can change things within my sphere of influence, is to change my own thoughts and actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment