Monday, June 10, 2013

Empowerment

It's been two weeks after my former team leader left the team for somewhere new. And across these two weeks I have really felt the impact of his leadership towards my new role in the team. The way he showed his leadership in encouragement and empowerment.

As I take up a slightly more active role in shift issues administration, I cannot but thank God each day, each shift, for the things I could help out with just because this guy was willing to share information, share experience, and actively involve me in all these things even though I was (and still am) the most junior member of the team. The extent of the things he could have done and settled himself, but took effort to teach and involve me too. The creativity of the solutions he had to finding out information and problem solving.

Most of all, I am thankful that he had trusted, encouraged and empowered me in a way far more than I deserved. I am thankful that he always believes in the best of people, and sees good things in the clumsy new chemist who doesn't even pipette properly and had her hands trembling whenever she uses pincers. I thank God for the times he used to resolve and shield me from the consequences of the problems and difficulties I've caused, and instead taught me not to fear them and positively make me repeat till I get things right.

Although he was a chemist with great skill and technical knowledge, the greatest takeaway I had from him was how to make friends and build people up. He is in his own way a great leader. He gave me confidence in myself and helped me contribute to team leadership in my own way. He despised not the youth of my age nor my inexperience in this field. Instead he even had the humility to see others better than himself.

I am glad that the current leader of my team is also actively training me up and is expressing and showing trust in the work I do too. I am really thankful and encouraged. And I am impressed so hard the fact that I should in turn not presumptuously draw early conclusions about people be they senior or junior. 

To work with a team that trusts and builds up one another is such a joyful and meaningful thing. I hope I can likewise help to encourage and build up the people I work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment