Sunday, September 6, 2009

Worry Not

Today's sermon was about not worrying to live a live of joy, because worrying kills joy. Quite apt because I've been losing sleep lately worrying about numerous things, which is quite uncommon. :( I used not to lose sleep over things.


I like pastor's pink elephant illustration. :) If I ask you to think about a pink elephant vividly and suddenly ask you to stop doing so, you can't really stop. Unless you're thinking of something else.

And if we're worrying the only way to stop thinking about what we're worrying about and replace it with something else. Paul tells us what to think instead:

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Phil 4: 8-9

The fact that we worry is because our focus is on the problem but not on God. An elementary fact, but often forgotten. And another thing is, if we're worrying chances are our relationship with God is in trouble, hence we know that He won't bless the work of our hands when we're not walking right with Him.

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

Phil 4: 6
Hopefully I can take these verses to heart and worry not, instead of being a worry wart :) Hey, they rhyme! Kind of.

On a side note,

1. I'm keeping all the campus song books! That means I can bring a book down to play whenever I want to. :) I always forget the melodies of the songs but now I have all the lyrics I can play everything! Well, not really everything, just everything I know how to sing.

2. First CME meeting today and I showed that I'm Most Enthu Member of the cultural group for being the only member that turned up. Somehow I have this feeling that it's Farid who made CME what it is and all hyped and enthu and from the time the baton passed to me, enthusiasm ebbed away. Maybe is started with my leadership, maybe it did not. But CME is the only comm I have joined for 3 years running and I'm planning to enjoy being in it no matter what other people do or don't do.

The things I'm fretting over are still there. But I know God is there above them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment